Mar 29, 2019 | Buzzworthy Content
Interestingly, only 1 in 5 adults get the recommended amount of weekly exercises and physical activity. In other words, 80% of the population is not getting enough exercise. The most common reason? “I’m too busy”.
There isn’t much time left in the day after working a nine to five job, coming home to help the kids with homework, cooking dinner, spending quality time with the family, etc. So what to do if exercise time doesn’t have its own entry in your daily schedule? Exercise at work with these easy and effective tips. Let’s get started!
You might have seen football players tap their feet while in practice. Called the foot drill, you can do so by gently tapping your feet in place for about 30 seconds at a time. If you can try for longer, all the better!
Sitting at a desk for long hours puts a strain on your back, and this simple exercise can relieve tense or strained muscles. While seated in your chair, place your right arm behind your right hip. Twist the arm out (to the right side) and hold that position for about 10 seconds. Drop that arm and do the same for your left arm.
Repeat the exercise about 3 – 5 times on each side.
3 Chair Dip
This is the equivalent of a yawn stretch, and you’ll love it too. Start by putting your hands on the armrest of the chair, using them for support as you move your bottom forwards in the seat. Slowly, straighten your arms, then proceed to lifting yourself off the chair in this position.
Hold your new position for about 10 seconds before returning to the sitting position. Try this exercise about 4 – 5 times at one go.
Tip: While seated at your desk, make sure your back is aligned with the chair. That puts less strain on your spine and ensures you don’t end up with more back posture problems than you bargained for. Slumping in the chair might feel comfortable, but it is seriously hurting your back.
The knee press provides an ideal way to stretch out your glutes. Start by placing your left ankle on your right knee. Gently but firmly, press the left ankle against the right knee a couple of times. Once you are done with that, repeat the exercise on the other ankle as well. You can repeat this exercise once every 2 – 3 hours.
5 Calf Raises
You can do this at your desk or take a walk to a more private area as this exercise is not as inconspicuous as the others.
The principle is to hold something for support while standing. Afterwards, proceed to lifting yourself up till you are standing on your toes. Slowly, lower yourself back to the floor so that your feet are now on the ground.
Repeat these ten times in succession, take a break of 30 seconds to a minute and go again. Try a total of 3 times (3 sets) at one stretch.
6 Shadow Boxing
Extend your arms out and make sure nothing is in its way. This is to ensure you don’t hit anything when going for this exercise. Once that is done, ball up your fists in front of your face. Visualize a punching bag in front of you and punch away. Don’t put all the work on one hand, so try switching the punches between the right and left fists, ensuring that they even out in the end.
Go for 30 seconds at a stretch, pause for a moment and go again. Like any other cardio, this is sure to get your heart pumping faster in no time, besides helping you release stress.
Set a one- or two-hour timer for yourself, and when that bell dings, get to walking. You don’t need to take a long walk. Any distance that can be covered within 30 – 45 seconds is good enough. Try this 3 – 5 times, ending it by being back at your desk.
Tip: You can try parking your car a little farther away from your office than usual. That gives you extra walking time when you are coming in and leaving.
Hopefully these tips provide you with the exercise needed throughout your day. Start slow and gradually introduce new exercises every few days. Good luck!
Mar 29, 2019 | Buzzworthy Content
Finding time to relax with a busy lifestyle seems impossible, which is why you need to find ways to relax throughout the day. This can have a significant impact on your life, and leave you with a much relaxed and stress-free body and mind. To help you out we have listed down 10 ways to relax when stressed out.
- Tryptophan – A lot of people reach for food when stressed, a common habit as food can help relax your body and mind. This is due to the fact that food contains tryptophan that can help you unwind and relax. Tryptophan is present in most protein-based foods or dietary proteins.
- Be Active – An easy way to relax is by adding an activity to your daily routine. You might feel that laying down or sitting would be a great way to relax, but when you are stressed your mind needs an activity that can distract it which is why you should consider going for a quick run around the block or hitting the gym. Working out the stress will help you relax your body and mind.
- Breathing – Learning a few breathing exercises will definitely help you out in stressful moments. Your heart rate increases when you experience stress. Slow, deep and controlled breathing lowers your heart rate quickly and can have immediate effects on your stress level and mental state .
- Music – Music is food for the soul and can help you go from panic mode to melodic mode in a few minutes. Listen to any music that puts you in a good mood so you can relax at any given point. The best way is to keep the music on your phone and your earphones ready to go.
- Chocolate – Chocolate is the most popular calming treat in the world. Its sensational taste releases a sense of calmness to your body and mind leaving you with a more relaxed feeling. Moreover, it contains anandamide which is a neurotransmitter that adds a peaceful sensation.
- Hug – One of the easiest ways to relax is by hugging someone you love. Knowing that you have someone who loves and cares about you can easily bring your anxiety levels down. Psychologically it helps soothe you, and physiologically it releases the love hormone in your brain that instantly relaxes you.
- Pamper – Treating yourself is a concept only a few individuals are familiar with, but something that works wonderfully. We suggest you take out time to pamper yourself, so you can refresh and reboot before jumping back into a stressful environment.
- Laugh – Laughter is the best medicine, as it has a great therapeutic effect on your mind. You can take on a laughter therapy class, a laughter yoga class, or just get together with any family or friend that makes you laugh.
- Aromatherapy – A soothing and relaxing journey that relaxed your body and mind, regardless of where you are. We suggest investing in a portable diffuser and your favorite essential oils. Making sure you are covered when at home, driving, and when in office.
- Live – Learn to live in the moment, as worrying about something that might never happen is pointless. You need to live in the moment and cherish the good times that come your way, fighting the urge to think about unnecessary thoughts that can cause anxiety or stress.
Hopefully these 10 tips lower your stress level and allow you to have a calmer and more productive day.
Mar 27, 2019 | Buzzworthy Content
When thinking about work and work environment, happiness ranks low on most people’s list of workplace benefits. Your level of happiness at your workplace has a great impact on your productivity, how you plan ahead and your life in general, which is why you must implement strategies for increasing happiness a work. To help you get started we have listed a few simple strategies that can help you get started on your quest to be a happier version of yourself at work.
- Find a Meaning – It’s easy to say “do what you love”, as it comes attached to a long list of bills and due dates that will weight you down. However, there does come a point in life when you have to stop running after money, and really ask yourself does your job make you happy? Is it really what you want to be doing for the rest of your life? In other words, look for a meaning, the reason why you are in the position you hold today. If the meaning is loud and clear, then it should be enough to make you happy.
- Office Nest – You spend so much time at your office, that it is impossible to get by without creating an office nest. This way you won’t find yourself counting the minutes until you get home, because you will be perfectly comfortable in your space. Start by customizing your cubical or office, and add a touch of your personality to the mix. Making sure you are as comfortable as you will be at home.
- Work Best Friend – It’s impossible to get through the highs and lows of work without having someone who understands what you are going through. Which is why you need a work best friend that is constantly there to support you through your nervous breakdowns, self-doubting moments and everything that comes with it.
- Smile Openly – Try to smile more when you are talking to your coworkers, or when you pass them by. Smiling more can have a wonderful impact on your body and mind, as it notifies your brain that you are happy and content with your life. This automatically releases neuropeptides that offer you a sense of being loved.
- Future Oriented – The only way to ensure happiness is work is to know where you are going. There must be a reason why you get up early every morning and prepare for the same day. Which is why we urge you to set a goal and decide where you wish to be in a few years. This way you will know what you are working towards, and it can help you stay focused and happy.
- Leave Personal Problems – Everyone can compartmentalize to some degree or another. This comes in very handy at the workplace. To be productive, one should have a clear head free from outside distractions such as family or personal problems. That’s why it’s important to keep your personal problems at home and your work problems at work, dealing with them in their respected time frame, making sure one does not take over the other. This will not only lead to more happiness at work but at home as well!
Happiness at work is extremely important to job performance and your overall well-being. Hopefully implementing a few of these strategies will help decrease stress and increase your level of happiness at work.
Mar 27, 2019 | Buzzworthy Content
Making ends meet is getting harder by the second, especially if you are working your way up or not in a secure job. Which is why you need to consider all your options when it comes to making a little extra money from the comfort of your home. To help you get started we have listed down a few easy ways to make money at home.
- Paid Surveys – Many of you might be aware of them, but paid surveys are still a mystery to some. These surveys are conducted online, so you won’t have to leave your home, and can easily bring in hundreds of dollars each month. The amount you make depends on how many surveys you take, and how much time you have to offer. Whenever a new survey is available you will be notified by email, so you can take them even when you are on the go.
- Blogging – You don’t have to be a professional writer to start a blog, all you need are some typing skills and you are ready to get started. Starting a blog has never been easier, as now you have access to unlimited online tools that walk you through the entire process. Websites such as WordPress can be set up in under five minutes, so you can finally get started on your blogging career.
- Rent A Room – Have an extra bedroom at home? Why let it go to waste when you can get some money out of it. All you have to do is tidy the place up and offer a bed, with easy access to the bathroom and you can start renting the place for long or short term use. This way you won’t have to do any work other than saying an occasional hello.
- Renting Your Car – There are many applications that allow you to post an advertisement when renting your vehicle. So you can easily get the most out of your parked car. You can easily rent it during the free slots, so you will bring in the extra money you need to pay off for the car.
- Work Online – There are endless opportunities when it comes to working online. This way you can finally put your education or skills to some good use. There are unlimited online platforms that allow you to advertise your services in return for a fee. This is a great deal as they will be marketing your services to buyers from all around the world.
It doesn’t matter if you’re looking for a way to make some extra cash or if you’re sick of working in an office, working from home offers you ample benefits that you will love and cherish for a long time to come. Which is why we suggest you get started on it sooner rather than later, making sure you get a steady income before you quit your day job.
Mar 26, 2019 | Buzzworthy Content
White or Apple Cider Vinegar
Contrary to what one might think, the acidic PH of white vinegar helps to rebalance the pH of damaged skin and to reduce the sensation of heating. Mix in a bowl the same quantity of white vinegar and water, and soak the compresses in this mixture. Let rest for five minutes. If your burn is extensive, perhaps it would be more useful to take a warm bath and dissolve 25 cl of apple cider vinegar. Stay 20 minutes then rinse thoroughly with warm water, not hot. The above procedure should give you a quick relieve.
Often used in pastry (for those who cook), baking soda is one of the most effective natural home remedies against burned skinned. It also has antiseptic virtues and when mixed with fresh water it is super active. For quick and effective relief, apply and let sit for ten minutes.
We all have potatoes in our kitchen, and it turns out that they are a swift way to relieve a sunburn! The method is rather simple: cut your potatoes in bits and rub them on the burned skin parts until the starch is dry. Repeat this procedure until you feel relieved from the hot and burning sensation.
Natural fresh tomatoes contains a powerful antioxidant: lycopene (vitamin A) which helps rebuild the skin. When you get sunburned, there is significant destruction of lycopene in your skin. Thus, the lycopene contained in the tomato will act primarily on the skin in synergy with other antioxidants such as vitamin E and help rebuild the skin while removing the effect of the burn. It also prevents the skin from peeling or blistering. For this, cut a tomato into slices and apply them on the red parts of your skin for about 20 minutes. The feeling of fire and the pain should disappear very quickly.
Natural Yogurt or Cottage Cheese
It may seem surprising, but yogurt helps heal lighter sunburned skin. Indeed, the lactic ferments contained in the cottage cheese, for example, have an anti-inflammatory effect, while the proteins would alleviate the pain. Natural Yogurt or Cottage Cheese is a miracle product against sunburned skin. Apply a good layer of yogurt (or cottage cheese) on the painful and affected parts and leave for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
The freshness of cucumber is highly recommended to soothe sunburn. So peel a cucumber freshly out of the fridge, pass it in the blender with a few drops of olive oil, pass through to the strainer and apply the lotion on your skin.
Fresh Lemon juice
This citrus also has a “magic” virtue of relieving your skin in case of sunburn. A practical and simple remedy for pain is an excellent little squeezed lemon juice straight out of the fridge. To apply to the burned area, it soothes and helps to cool the heated skin. You can also mix the juice of three lemons with 50cl of cold water and pass the preparation on the sunburns. Not only does it refresh, but it also disinfects and regenerates the skin.
Natural Honey/ Aloe Vera Plant
This plant contains an unusually high number of amino acids, which help the regeneration of the skin and thus confer quite exceptional healing qualities. To relieve your burns, collect and apply concentrated aloe vera gel to the area to be treated, and let it sit. If you do not have aloe vera plant, get a tube of gel, it will serve you in case of burns. Simply miraculous! Honey, on the other hand, has always been known for its beneficial properties. It is healing, antiseptic and can even soothe your skin reddened by the sun. Apply liquid honey directly to the burned areas and cover with a compress. Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes and rinse with cold water. In addition to relieving you, the honey will moisturize your skin, which may prevent it from peeling!
It is already known that green tea, as an infusion, has great self-tanning powers. But this is not his only possible use. Indeed, our grandmothers recommend tea bags to relieve sunburn on the eyelids! When we fall asleep on the beach in the sun, it is not uncommon for the thin skin of our eyelids to be affected and it is very often recommended not to apply moisturizer on it, as this may irritate your eyes.
So, brew two tea bags or herbal tea, immerse in a bowl of water full of ice to cool them and then apply them on your eyes until feeling a sense of calm.
Lavender Essential Oil
If you must have an essential oil in your bag during your outdoor getaways and in full sun, you should not to leave your lavender essential oil (lavender, lavender aspic lavender, etc.) that will relieve your burns. You do not have to buy it; you can prepare it yourself. To do this, mix 10 ml of vegetable oil of your choice with 10 ml of lavender essential oil, and voila!
The goal is not to get sunburned. Here are some tips:
- Avoid exposing yourself to the hottest hours of the day (between 12pm and 4pm).
- Protect yourself with light cotton clothing (T-shirt, shorts, hat, glasses, etc.) if you expose yourself during these hours.
- Apply a sunscreen with a sun protection factor adapted to your skin type.
- Hydrate yourself well all day by drinking at least 1.5 l of water.
Note: these natural remedies are only valid for small burns. In case of severe sunburn, blisters or fever, nothing beats medical advice!
Mar 25, 2019 | Buzzworthy Content
There are many ways to lose weight but doing it correctly with a healthy diet will give you the fastest results in the healthiest manner. Exercise is a good component to any weight loss program but today we’re going to focus on diet, specifically:
- Reducing your appetite
- Losing weight without causing deficiencies
- Improving health and metabolic function
Sugar & Starches:
When trying to lose weight, the first items to cut back on are sugars and starches. These are high in carbs and have a negative impact on your body. Moreover, when you consume less sugar and starches your hunger level automatically declines, and you eat fewer calories. This way your body will start feeding on stored fats, rather than burning carbs for energy.
Protein, Vegetables & Fat:
Each meal you consume should include protein, low-carb vegetables, and a fat source. It is crucial that you eat plenty of proteins as higher protein diets can help reduce cravings and food-related thoughts, keeping you away from late night snacks and mindless eating.
- Protein Source: Beef, chicken, lamb, pork, salmon, shrimp, trout, eggs, etc.
- Low-Carb Vegetables: Cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, kale, tomatoes, cabbage, lettuce, etc.
- Fat Source: Coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, and white butter.
Apart from eating healthy, you must keep your body well hydrated at all times. Increasing your body’s water intake is a simple and easy way to boost weight loss. Water can help increase your metabolism rate while filling your stomach. Moreover, it can help flush toxins out of your system, and keep you full.
Apart from what you eat, when you eat is highly important. Most individuals skip meals and then take on a great load at one time. This is not recommended and can mess with your body’s functions which is why we suggest you eat small portions throughout the day. This will help keep your metabolism up and running while offering your body energy to get things done.
One of the best ways to reduce weight is by avoiding alcohol in any form. As much as you’d love a glass of wine or a chilled beer at the end of the day, try to cut down on your alcohol consumption. Yes, there are low-calorie drinks but drinking any alcoholic drink can hamper weight loss efforts. Alcohol severely dehydrates the body causing the metabolism to slow down and all kinds of other nasty things. When actively dieting it’s a good idea to drink no more than 2-3 alcoholic drinks per week. And stay hydrated!
These tips can help you get on the right track, but how much weight you lose is totally up to you. Dedication will play a great role throughout the journey so keep your head and spirits high!